Junius B. Booth Society, Inc.
FIRST ANNUAL PROGRESS REPORT,
December 31, 2006
WHY THE SOCIETY WAS NAMED AFTER JUNIUS BRUTUS BOOTH, THE
- Junius Brutus Booth, Sr. was the owner of Tudor Hall and a man who
loved Harford County.
- Walt Whitman called him "the grandest historian of modern times."
- Encyclopedia Britannica ranked Junius as one of the two most popular
American actors in the period around 1830.
- Dr. Patrick Finelli in his book "A History of World Theater" ranks
Edwin and Junius as among the top eight actors in the world in the 19-th
- Junius is given credit for being the first person to manufacture
- Junius was a passionate environmentalist ahead of his time. He did
not believe in hurting any animal.
- Junius was Edwin Booth's father and teacher.
- Edwin has been called the greatest American actor of the 19-th
- The Booth Theater on Broadway is named in memory of Edwin.
- The Players Club was founded by Edwin. It has one of the largest
theater research libraries in the world. It is called the sacred home
of the American theater.
- Edwin saved Lincoln's son's life.
- For almost over 140 years about a dozen or more books have been
written per year about the Booths. This is an amazing record.
PURPOSE OF THE SOCIETYThis corporation is organized
exclusively for educational, literary, and research purposes within the
meaning of Section 501C3 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as now
enacted or hereafter amended, including, for such purposes, the making of
distributions to organizations that also qualify as Section 501C3 exempt
organizations. To this end, the corporation shall support the education of
the public in:
In order to fulfill these goals,
the purpose includes support of the restoration and preservation of:
- The theatrical arts
- The Booth family history
- The story of Tudor Hall
- Other Booth family historical sites located in Harford County
- Owners, slaves, farmers, craftsmen and others connected to the Tudor
- American history of the 19th century
- Building restoration and preservation
- Booth related literary works
Finally, the purpose includes
providing a worldwide resource for research and study of aspects of the
historical, political and social problems of all the subjects listed
- Tudor Hall (house, grounds, and outbuildings)
- Other Booth related buildings or sites located in Harford County, MD
- Booth related literary works
DIRECTORSSince we cannot solicit, the number of directors
of the corporation is one now, which will be increased pursuant to the
bylaws of the corporation. Elwin C. Penski is the Director, Resident Agent
and Incorporator until his successors are duly chosen and qualified.
ACTIVITIES THAT THIS SOCIETY PLANS FOR TUDOR HALLThe only
activities at Tudor Hall (house, grounds, and outbuildings) that we have
included in our purpose in our Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws are
restoration and preservation.
WHAT ABOUT LINCOLN'S ASSASSINATION AND JOHN WILKES
BOOTH?The Surratt Society and Ford's Theatre have dealt with John
Wilkes Booth and the assassination for decades. They have done a good job
and have been very successful. Competing with them is not included in our
- Consulted future members, experts, and lawyers. Adopted purpose and
name. Sept.-Oct. 2006.
- Incorporation in Maryland, 10/30/2006
- Maryland Certification of Status, 10/30/2006
- Obtained Federal Tax Identification Number, 11/15/2006
- Set Up Checking Account, 11/15/2006
- E-mail address (JBBoothSoc@msn.com), 11/17/2006
- Completed Bylaws, 11/17/2006
- Held organizational Meeting (Adopted bylaws, and voted to apply for
501[c] status, Dec. 28, 2006
TREASURER REPORT FOR 2006
||Maryland, Articles Recording Fee
||Maryland, Articles Org & Cap Fee
||Maryland, Articles Expedite Fee
||Postage Fee $5.00
||Maryland, Certificate of Status
||Pastime Software Inc., |
Past Perfect Support To Support
Cataloging of The Booth Collection
||Historical Soc. of Harford Co., |
To help support work on
|Assets at Year End